£0.45 – £2.75
Steinvikholm, Trondelag County, Norway Catle built 1525 ~ 1532 by Olav Engelkbrektson, Norways last Archbishop. It was built to defend the Archbishop and the church in Norway at the time oif struggle for power between the King of Denmark and Norway. The shrine of St Olav was kept in the western tower for more than 30 years. When Olav Engelbrektson on 01/04/1537 lost control with the King he had to surrender the castle and Norway became a Danish province. The castle became the residence of the feudal overlord for the Northern part of Norway for nearly 40 years. The castle was abandoned in 1575 and eventually became a quarry.